F*&! Joe Torre

Since Joe Torre breaks our hearts, this blog will break his balls. Every day of the season I will detail the errors, misjudgements, and omissions that make him the most overrated manger in the history of the game (even more than Tommy Lasorda!). But Joe Torre is not just one bum in hero's clothing (i.e. the pinstripes); he is the quintessential counterfeit of excellence, a figure who embodies the triumph of the ersatz that pervades every aspect of our culture. No organization in sport, nay in civilization generally, has manifested a committment to continuing greatness like the New York Yankees, a beacon to all, in every field of endeavor, that the best is always possible. How intolerable is it then that the Yankees should be managed by a mediocrity on stilts, a figure with a reputation for greatness without any of the attributes thereof. Beginning with Torre and ending with Torre, this blog will look to smash idols we create out of inadvertence, ignorance, and complacency.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Don't believe the hype

I have decided to use the all-star break to blog on one of my other sports passions, world cup soccer. I have myself visited a number of blogs devoted to the subject and read through the long lists of comments theyt attrace. All I can say is that there has never, and I mean never, been an ad campaign more deceptive than the one-worldism marketing ESPN ran to attract Americans low oin soccer interest but high on political idealism. We all know that international sport, like the Olympics, can be war by other means, but that is also to say that they are war in sublimation. If world cup managed to be that, I would think the ads about a ball closing shops, stopping wars, changing the world, were profoundly silly, but no more misleading than your average marketing device in favor of an innocuous commodity. What these blogs convinced me, however, was that if the tournament brings the world together in the sense of magnetizing global attention around a single spectacle, mutual animosity remains the deciver energy invested. As an Italian-American, I can't say I was the least bit surprised at the degree of slur-dripping animus directed at the Italian team and Italians generally. As an american, I was similarly unsurprised at the enmity expressed toward the French. After all Francophobia, even more than Muslim or Arab bashing, is our last fully legitimated prejudice in this country. But who knew so many people had such deep-seated hatred toward the Portugese? World Cup evidently doesn't really supply much in tghe way of sublimation of ethnic hostility, it seems to actualize some that are otherwise largely dormant.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I'd post the link below as a public service, since

1) I know Joe agrees with me about the accuracy of the sentiment behind it;

2) it's a blog that anyone who enjoys reading (or writing) a blog called F*&! Joe Torre would clearly enjoy;

3) it's in keeping with the critique of baseball's conventional wisdom epidemic...

Click to see what I mean.

5:41 PM  
Blogger joe valente said...

Great site. While I agree with the general sentiment that JOE MO MUST GO and take Miller with him, I must say they are no worse than Joe-Boy Buck (there's no cretin like a morally superior legacy cretin) and Tim McCarver, who has the unmitigated gall to imagine he is ingenious. While I continually wish Morgan and Miller off the air, for their sheer verbal and analytic ineptitude, I find myself harboring darker and less healthy wishes concerning Tiny Brain Tim and his callow friend.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, but fortunately Fire Joe Morgan also catalogues some of McCarver's finest, such as his recent comment about a "Mark Wohlberg fastball. Catch me if you can"--which makes no sense no matter how you slice and dice it.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home