F*&! Joe Torre

Since Joe Torre breaks our hearts, this blog will break his balls. Every day of the season I will detail the errors, misjudgements, and omissions that make him the most overrated manger in the history of the game (even more than Tommy Lasorda!). But Joe Torre is not just one bum in hero's clothing (i.e. the pinstripes); he is the quintessential counterfeit of excellence, a figure who embodies the triumph of the ersatz that pervades every aspect of our culture. No organization in sport, nay in civilization generally, has manifested a committment to continuing greatness like the New York Yankees, a beacon to all, in every field of endeavor, that the best is always possible. How intolerable is it then that the Yankees should be managed by a mediocrity on stilts, a figure with a reputation for greatness without any of the attributes thereof. Beginning with Torre and ending with Torre, this blog will look to smash idols we create out of inadvertence, ignorance, and complacency.

Monday, May 21, 2007

RESPONDING TO BGW

Who would I like to see replace slow Joe if he goes down, hopefully soon. Well, let me say first of all that I want to see Pena retained as a coach, not promoted to manager. I think Jorge Posada has been a much better player in every phase of the game since Pena's been on board and you can't overestimate the value of a dependable receiver. Second, I take your point BGW about the value of Larry Bowa's fire on team that seems all but extinguished of late. But I too remember well his tenure in Philadelphia (the other team I follow on a day by day basis) and my feeling was that he was nearly as bad a field tactician as slow Joe, not as mind-numbingly orthodox, but mind-bendingly tone-deaf. But retaining him as third base coach would, I agree, be a good idea. At the risk of being utterly conventional, and you have to risk that sometimes, I would like to see slow Joe replaced by Mo-Joe, i.e. Joe Girardi. Girardi manages with fire, he's great at developing young players and I'd like to see the Yankees get younger in a hurry, and he's willing to stand-up top anyone in the organization, which I think would prove particularly necessary if George continues to fade and Brian Cashboy continues to work here. Plus, I like the idea of having a manger good enough to keep around for 10 years (which is would have meant firing Joe in 2004, perfect!) and Giardi is young enough to envision that happening.

Look back at this blog and you will see I have been lusting to see Clippard in the majors along with Hughes. He sure looked good last night. I'm thinking about next year and a rotation that includes four youngsters (Hughes, Wang, Clippard, Rasner) along with Andy Pettite. I don't know if they'd win the division or anything, but I think it would be fun. Sort of like watching Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson and Maroth develop over in Detroit. I still say send Mussina to the bullpen now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home