F*&! Joe Torre

Since Joe Torre breaks our hearts, this blog will break his balls. Every day of the season I will detail the errors, misjudgements, and omissions that make him the most overrated manger in the history of the game (even more than Tommy Lasorda!). But Joe Torre is not just one bum in hero's clothing (i.e. the pinstripes); he is the quintessential counterfeit of excellence, a figure who embodies the triumph of the ersatz that pervades every aspect of our culture. No organization in sport, nay in civilization generally, has manifested a committment to continuing greatness like the New York Yankees, a beacon to all, in every field of endeavor, that the best is always possible. How intolerable is it then that the Yankees should be managed by a mediocrity on stilts, a figure with a reputation for greatness without any of the attributes thereof. Beginning with Torre and ending with Torre, this blog will look to smash idols we create out of inadvertence, ignorance, and complacency.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Those Who Are About to Die

salute you. On what I fear will be the last day of the season, I want to thank everybody who has read and responded to this blog. I like to think it made the frustrations this team put us through a little easier to take--provided what we might call analytic therapy. I know at any rate that it did that much for me, thanks entirely to all of you.

I wanted to blog a season of Yankees' baseball and should they lose today I will have done that. I suspect the blog will affect me during the off season rather like a phantom limb: every time I go to my computer to check my e-mail or retrieve a file, I will instinctively start toward the site only to remember that it was amputated not just by the seasonal cycle but by the Yankees' failure.

To which one can only say F*&! Joe Torre now and forever.

I'll be back after the game either to continue blogging the season (hope like rust never sleeps) or to share a final post mortem.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

Did you see today's lineup?

Damon CF
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
Sheffield 1B
Matsui DH
Posada C
Cano 2B
Rodriguez 3B
Cabrera LF
Wright RHP

Maybe Joe's reading the blog?

-Michael

2:44 PM  
Blogger joe valente said...

The Tigers just went up 4-0 thanks to an error by AROD--dropped grounder, bad throw--that the announcers claimed for no other reason than jock-sniffing hero-worship--they should have given to Sheffield for being inexperienced at first. Even if sheffield catches the ball the runner's safe and even though he didn't the runner failed to advance. He should have been out easily; came around to score, and it's all on AROD. So he'll have a little something to add to his ofor today.

I really think they're done now.

and Michael, had he been listening to this blog, ARDO would have been on the bench by now.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As it stands, it's looking like Bonderman will have an 80 pitch perfect game.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home